Atlanta Mess-Around day 2 could have easily been shrouded by a collective hangover from an amazing day 1, but no, it was full on day drinking and high volume scuzzy rock at 529 in the East Atlanta Village again. Unsurprisingly, the revelry continued a block away at The EARL late into the night.
Saturday’s roster consisted of Easy Magick, Uniform, Secret Prostitutes, Giorgio Murderer, OBN III’s, Barreracudas, Gaye Blades, NOTS, Blaxxx, Flamin’ Groovies and Gentleman Jesse. Sets were consistently strong again, with OBN III’s, NOTS, and Blaxxx standing out.
The only way the Flamin’ Groovies set could have been more Spinal Tapesque is if the drummer had spontaneously combusted, or possibly choked to death on vomit (not his own). Age, alcohol, and three inch heels conspired to make the beginning of the set a little uncomfortable. I stepped outside to get some air with slightly fewer carcinogens in it and when I returned the veteran garage rockers had rallied, MUCH to my surprise. It was kind of uplifting, actually.
- Overheard from the stage over the weekend:
- “Are you in tune?…..I guess.”
- “Next motherfucker that gets beer on this $2000 set of keys gets a boot up their ass!”
- “Or..take it to Guitar Center and get it fixed.”
- “I’m going to warn you once. You picked the wrong fucking band, cause we’re Pissed Jeans and we don’t mess around.”
- “What does this song start on? A. Like EVERY OTHER SONG.”
- “I’m never going to live this down.”
- “No thanks to any of you fuckers….I could have been having a stroke.”
- “Can someone get me a beer?”
- “How does this one go?….Buh, dum, ba,ba,ba, DUM…. Oh, yeah.”
- “Does anyone have a bass I can use?”
- “I’ll remind you that you don’t have to wait until January 1st to ditch that habit, it’s bad for your health.”
- “There’s more where that came from.”
- “It’s a lot harder than it looks.”
- “Use the other side(of the bass drum)….Can’t, it’s broken, too.”
- See you next year Mess-Around. Click through for more pics.